The Lenovo’s W520 not a W510 + 10

I have a Lenovo W510 and after reading Keith Combs’ review of the W520 I itching to get my hands on one. My new W520 arrived a couple of weeks ago – the part which I was most excited about was the new internal disk controller which moved from a SATA II to a SATA III. A long while back, just as they hit the market, I purchased a Crucial C300 which when I initially installed in my T61 cranked out some huge performance gains. I then moved it to a W510 and again saw another level of performance out of this drive. As with the other machines installing the C300 installing into the W520 I was not disappointed.

Continue reading “The Lenovo’s W520 not a W510 + 10”

We Got a Situation With The Federation

Over the last week my team has received reports from customers running both MOSS 2007 and SharePoint 2010 that Federated Search Results are no longer working. The Federated location in question seems to be centered around Bing/live.com.

I setup a test this morning in my SP2010 lab and I can confirm the out of the box (OOB) ‘Internet Search Results’ Federated location is no longer working. In fact when you add the Federated Web Part on a Search Results page and choose this location a very long delay will occur when attempting to render the search results page. Doing a sniff I can see the original request for search.live.com gets redirected to bing.com which has been typical in the past however the difference is that instead of being an RSS response, as specified in the format query string parameter, the response is sent back in HTML which injects a delay as the results are processed. Eventually the results cannot be processed and the Search Federated Results Web Part does not render any output.

Continue reading “We Got a Situation With The Federation”

A Search SQL Index Issue

Ran into an issue the other day on SharePoint 2010 Search when configuring Managed Properties, specifically I was setting the MaxCharactersInPropertyStoreIndex value on a Managed Property. This is an integer value and is documented here. The maximum value for this property is 450 however if you set this value to its maximum value you will start seeing errors with your crawls and in our case the crawls never would complete. Taking a look at the application event log we can see the following error logged:

Continue reading “A Search SQL Index Issue”

The User Profile Service Heats up With a June CU Regression

Just in time for summer break here in the US the SharePoint product team has released a good number of fixes for SharePoint 2010. Service Pack 1 and the June Cumulative Update (CU) is now available for download. These are fairly substantial updates when you consider the number of bugs that have been fixed and in the case of SP1 the new improvements which have been made. To put it another way, SharePoint Server 2010 is about 1.47 GB and the Uber Package for the June CU (Foundation+Server) has a size of just about 1 GB.

Continue reading “The User Profile Service Heats up With a June CU Regression”

Extending The SharePoint 2010 Health & Usage – Part 4: Writing a Custom Usage Receiver

This is the 4th article and last article in a series where I have been discussing the extensibility offered with the SharePoint 2010 Usage and Health services. If you have read all the prior articles to this point then bravo for you! I really hope this last article was worth the wait. At this point I have provided an overview of the Health and Usage Service, discussed the development of a Custom Usage Provider and showed you how to create custom Health reports and host those within Central Administration. This last article covers my favorite Health and Usage extensibility Usage Receivers. In fact, here is a little secret I will let you in on, to build its analytic reports the SharePoint Web Analytics Service application uses a Usage Receiver to grab all its data from the OOB Request Usage Provider. So take a look at the SharePoint 2010 Web Analytics with all its data and rich reporting and know that all came from a Usage Receiver.

If you missed the prior articles the list below is for you, otherwise lets jump into the article:

  1. Feature and Capability Overview
  2. Writing a Custom Usage Provider
  3. Writing Custom Reports
  4. Writing a Custom Usage Receiver (this article)

Continue reading “Extending The SharePoint 2010 Health & Usage – Part 4: Writing a Custom Usage Receiver”

Extending The SharePoint 2010 Health & Usage – Part 3: Writing Custom Reports

This is the third article of a 4 part series where I discuss the extensibility of the new Health and Usage Services built into SharePoint 2010. In the second article we created a custom Usage Provider which collected download information and stored it into the Usage Database. Now its time to take a look at the data which has been collected and report on it. We will do this by extending the Health Reports which currently only include reports for Slowest Pages and Top Active Users –  we should have more and we will..

Other articles in this series are as follows:

Continue reading “Extending The SharePoint 2010 Health & Usage – Part 3: Writing Custom Reports”