Yet Another Possible User Profile Sync Error You May See

I Have had the great honor of hitting a good number of errors while setting up the User Profile Sync service. I documented one error here but when setting up another environment today I hit yet another. The environment in question was a two server setup with one server being the DC and the other SharePoint + SQL Server. I use the farm account CONTOSO\FarmAccount. I setup all Service Applications using the PowerShell script found here and started the services I wanted to run. When I got to starting the User Profile Synchronization Service I would eventually see the following error in the event log.

Continue reading “Yet Another Possible User Profile Sync Error You May See”

A Session State By Any Other Name

Recently Mark Arend and I were helping out a co-worker setup Session State on SharePoint 2010 and he pointed out something very important; while I was providing the means to enable the “State Service” I was not providing the method to turn on ASP.Net session state. At first I was not clear on the distinction however once I read his email for the 3rd time after my second cup of coffee I finally got it..while I was using New-SPStateServiceDatabase to setup the State Service DB he was suggesting to use Enable-SPSessionStateService. Yea it looks pretty clear now that these are two very different commands however in my stupor after working on User Profile Sync issues over the past couple of days these were equal in my feeble mind.

Continue reading “A Session State By Any Other Name”

Automated Install of User Profile Sync can be a Challenge

Over the last two days I have had a hard time setting up User Profile Sync on SharePoint 2010. I chose not to run the wizard or use the UI to install the service but instead chose to use this PowerShell script to setup the Service Application’s and Proxies and then start the User Profile sync service. Now this is where things went bad…

Continue reading “Automated Install of User Profile Sync can be a Challenge”

Keep it Short When Dealing With SharePoint’s PSConfig

Ran into an issue today when setting up my SharePoint 2010 development VM that I suspect a few others may hit as well. I found that no matter what I did I could not get the User Profile Synchronization service to provision. My dev machine is a single-server everything, that is, its a DC, DNS, SQL and SharePoint.After struggling with this for a good while I booted up another VM which was based on RC and discovered that when I navigated to the Services on Server page it showed the name as “sp2010dev” while on my broken box it was “sp2010dev.contoso.com”.

Continue reading “Keep it Short When Dealing With SharePoint’s PSConfig”

The Wizard Likes His GUIDs

SharePoint 2010 includes a new Configuration Wizard which guides you configuring the SharePoint Service Applications. One of the downsides of running this wizard however is that the Database Names generated by the wizard contain a GUID in the name, for example “Performance Point {guid}”. If you are like me you are probably not being a big fan of naming something with a GUID when that object is typically read by humans. Each SA can be configured individually via the UI however a couple cannot, e.g. the State Service SA. I created the script below which will configure each SA (minus the Application Registry and Lotus Notes SAs) into a single Service Application, SQL server, and will start the services. While its probably a nice script to have for a single server development or test machine it will likely need to be changed for larger “real-world” deployments. I include it here however as an example to help you get started or if you have a dev box where you want to use GUID-less DB names. Please note that I did not take the time to configure each SA with the exact defaults as the Wizard – while totally possible I have a few other items on my plate but did want to share what I had as of now…

Continue reading “The Wizard Likes His GUIDs”